[Passed] Compliance Commission

Archive of General Assembly proposal discussion threads.

Moderators: Pharaoh, Sub-Vizier, Vizier, Chief Vizier

Auralia

Post by Auralia »

Compliance Commission
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum
Concerned that nations are unwilling to prosecute violators of World Assembly legislation and actively destroying evidence of crimes against humanity,

Asserting that members have an obligation to comply with policies enacted by the democratic mandate of the World Assembly as they have consented into its jurisdiction, and

Believing that cases of non-prosecution or destruction of evidence ought be investigated and archived so that a more objective conception of the truth can be established for future reference,

This august World Assembly hereby:

1. Establishes and empowers the WACC, hereafter referred to as the Compliance Commission, to conduct investigations on matters vis-à-vis observance with World Assembly resolutions and thereby establish an impartial and objective factual basis for future claims of jurisdiction and prosecutions thereof;

2. Requires both civilian and military police forces to create a liaison point with the Commission to provide evidence on war crimes in particular and adherence to WA legislation in general, and to those ends, demands that documents requested by the Commission not to be destroyed and to be handed over promptly so long as state security permits;

3. Permits the Compliance Commission, in specific investigations, to accept information and data which are presented by non-member nations and nations not party to that investigation; allows the Compliance Commission to request the assistance of nearby nations to more accurately assess and access the facts of the matter under investigation;

4. Strongly encourages nations to cooperate with the Compliance Commission on matters relevant to their security and conduct their own investigations into compliance with World Assembly resolutions as soon as possible; mandates the Compliance Commission inform nations of the passage of legislation, promulgation of regulations, or enactment of administrative policies relevant to their nation; and

5. Reminds member nations that this resolution establishes the Compliance Commission as a truth-seeking commission and does not grant it the ability to enforce or compel warrants, subpoenas, or judicial action on any nation, its leaders, or its citizens.
Auralia

Post by Auralia »

Summary: This resolution establishes a World Assembly committee called the WACC (nicknamed the Compliance Commission), which is responsible for conducting investigations into instances of noncompliance with World Assembly resolutions by member states or individuals within member states. Member states are required to provide any requested evidence to the Commission so long as "state security permits", but the Commission itself has no enforcement powers.

Recommendation: mildly FOR

Analysis: It is interesting to note that this resolution acknowledges the fact that non-compliance with World Assembly resolutions is, in fact, physically possible within the NationStates game world. This is a matter of no small controversy among GA regulars, to say the least.

I have always taken the position that we should seek realism in the World Assembly where possible. In real life, countries can defy international law, so I maintain that World Assembly member states should be free to do so so long as they roleplay the appropriate consequences to their foreign relations. I also maintain that no game rule prohibits this take on compliance. An extended defense of my position on the issue can be found here. Accordingly, I am tempted to vote in favour merely because the resolution supports my side of the debate. :P

The actual resolution, however, is nothing special. Its only effect is to create a committee responsible for collecting information related to compliance, which (presumably?) is made available to member states to conduct their own prosecutions or take other appropriate action in cases where the government of another member state is engaged in noncompliance. I suppose there's a place for such an organization; on that basis, and given that there is nothing offensive in the resolution, I mildly support a vote in favour.
Sygian

Post by Sygian »

Interesting, but I am not a fan of the resolution.

Against.

Sub-Vizier of Foreign Affairs
Patriarch of House Akhenaten
Baron of Koptos
Spoiler
Guardian
Chief Vizier
Chief Scribe
Vizier of WA Affairs (2x)
Forum Administrator
Spoiler
Adytus

Post by Adytus »

I'm voting Nay as well because I refuse to find policing.
The Anarchic Republic of AdytusLord Sarah of House Rahl, the Mirkhan Clan Syb: Ady is my favorite pervy CV.
Wrek: Adytus is just the personification of 69.
antim

Post by antim »

Also going against as it would end on giving up sovereignty in favour of WA control.
Auralia

Post by Auralia »

Adytus wrote:Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 pmI'm voting Nay as well because I refuse to find policing.
antim wrote:Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:45 pmAlso going against as it would end on giving up sovereignty in favour of WA control.
To clarify, the commission established by the resolution doesn't have any police powers or appreciably threaten national sovereignty. It's merely a fact-finding organization. You don't even have to provide it with any information if doing so would threaten national security.
Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

For.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris

"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
The Great Wall of Mexico

Post by The Great Wall of Mexico »

Nay, because more police isn't the answer. War crimes can be addressed by the countries themselves and/or between countries for extradition purposes. Sure, some war criminals might get away, but it's better to tackle the cause of the war crimes rather than the results of them.
LexerMercs

Post by LexerMercs »

Nay
-LexerMercs

[list]
[*]Osirian cartographer extraordinar
[*] Sub-Vizier of Forum Affairs X1
[/list]
Dr_PelIcaN
Citizen
Citizen