Page 1 of 5
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:39 pm
by Transdavisia
So, I've seen people around NS and especially Osiris with 'last names'- for example, some I've seen are Ravenclaw, Stark and Mon-mon-montre-Montressor?
I was wondering what these were for.
Thanks,
Trans
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:02 pm
by Festavo
They are NS families. You can marry into or be adopted into one. They don't serve much use besides the name and maybe a cool chat (Montresor-Stark ftw)
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm
by Transdavisia
That sounds intresting- I would like to be in one.
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm
by Lord Ravenclaw
Festavo is not entirely correct on his point, but there are two general distinctions of "family" in NationStates.
There are families who use their surname for cosmetic reasons, such as Sanguine in The North Pacific or Isaraider here in Osiris, and those who use their surname for political purposes, like Anumia in Europeia, Montresor in The East Pacific or Cerebella in Albion.
Houses which started in Osiris though, are Stark (mid 2012) (not Montresor-Stark) and Ravenclaw (mid 2013), and both of those groups were centred around Osiris. Neither of them are active in Osiran politics anymore (99% of the Starks have been lost to time, those that remain are generally Montresor-Stark's. While there are a few Ravenclaws, or branch-line descendants left in Osiris, we're not all that involved these days and our primary focus is Kingdom of Alexandria, which arose from the former Enlightened City of Alexandria which was one of Osiris' "Great Cities" - you can find it in the Archives under the Settlement section).
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:41 pm
by Festavo
Ah. Sorry for possibly misleading with my post. I only spoke from my experience with families.
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:40 am
by Lord Ravenclaw
You've gotten off lucky, dude. Osiris doesn't see the whole shitfest of faction problems anymore.
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:47 pm
by Festavo
Noted.
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:24 pm
by Transdavisia
What about Tim Stark? Is he basically the last remaining Stark in Osiris?
Names? Whaa?
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:45 pm
by Tim Stark
Hi there, I'm Tim Stark, patriarch of House Stark.
Comrade, the Stark Dynasty is still doing rather well, especially after our merger with House Montresor for the mutual benefits it provided. As for House Stark though, it's certainly not just me in Osiris. Other members of note within the Osiran sphere who associate with House Stark, given that they're my children, are both our Scribe of Justice Ivo Stark and our Pharaoh Festavo Montresor-Stark. I give my kids the choice of picking up either Stark or Montresor-Stark, so it all depends on which they pick for themselves.
I'm definitely not the last remaining one in Osiris, though I may be the grumpiest

Names? Whaa?
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:17 am
by Zaolat
Tim Stark wrote:Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 pmHi there, I'm Tim Stark, patriarch of House Stark.
Comrade, the Stark Dynasty is still doing rather well, especially after our merger with House Montresor for the mutual benefits it provided. As for House Stark though, it's certainly not just me in Osiris. Other members of note within the Osiran sphere who associate with House Stark, given that they're my children, are both our Scribe of Justice Ivo Stark and our Pharaoh Festavo Montresor-Stark. I give my kids the choice of picking up either Stark or Montresor-Stark, so it all depends on which they pick for themselves.
I'm definitely not the last remaining one in Osiris, though I may be the grumpiest

Not the original Patriarch.