New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Moderator: Pharaoh

Post Reply
User avatar
Lord Ravenclaw
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Lord Ravenclaw »



New Blood, Change and New Opportunities
Pharaoh-Emeritus Joshua Ravenclaw

10th Pharaoh of Osiris, First Elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order

Good Evening, Councillors of the Deshret.

I would like to spend some time tonight discussing something rather important regarding Osiris, and the community here on the topic of "New Blood, Change and New Opportunities", a topic that I think we are all definitely aware of, and of its importance to a sinker community. I will also be touching on history, and security as well as the role the Deshret plays in ensuring the region is safe. If you haven't already please make yourselves comfortable because I will be speaking at length, and will be splitting this into sections to make it easier for people to read. I have a lot to say and very few opportunities to speak in this manner. The sections are [History], [Service], [Roots] and [Security] which can be found easily by searching for them on the page.

Firstly, I would like to thank the Honourable Keeper for granting my request to speak, I promise you that I won't make a habit of this but felt that this was the best time to bring this topic into the open air.

[History]

Over the course of my tenure and career in the service of this region, I encountered a great many things which suggested that there was a lack of new blood, opportunities and chances for new citizens to carve out their reason to remain. You can spam forums, you can play diplomat, legislate in the World Assembly or the Deshret, you can roleplay or you can simply enjoy the community but I feel that everyone should have to give something to the community, and by sacrificing, or giving that aspect of their time, they are able to enjoy the community, and feel a greater part of it by not just benefiting the community as a whole, but doing their part to ensure that it remains fresh, open and has opportunities for future newcomers to follow in their footsteps.

In my case, I gave my World Assembly nation to Osiris. Thus giving me an vested interest in the security and longevity of the region, it also gave me a reason to be involved with the community, to know more about what is going on behind the scenes and to see if there was anything I could do to help. Gradually, I made friends, and even brought a friend of mine from a Guild we were part of into NationStates. Councillors, that friend I brought in, has just been elected your Pharaoh in a momentous election that I never believed I would see, and you have very much proven to me that newcomers, new people and fresh blood can be elected in Osiris, and are welcomed by the community of Osiris, and for that you have my gratitude.

12 months ago, this election would have been unthinkable. I would have been laughed out of the irc channel or forum for even suggesting that a new citizen could run for Pharaoh, it simply wasn't done, and it was considered lunacy to go against the "status quo". Of course, 12 months ago Osiris didn't have an official government, so the entire situation was moot but my point is the same.

Joshua came to NationStates at my urging, and by urging, I mean, nagging. I mean repeated nagging, along the lines of "Josh, I need more diplomats come and help me out you lazy git!!" He relented, and joined. I'm fairly sure that one day, he'll appear on my door-step and kill me for subjecting him to craziness of Biyah and co, or the insanity of Osiris, #osiafterdark and so many events that happened after he joined that didn't just pit a newcomer against a region of hot, molten crazy but a community of people who may have been divided at the time, but were welcoming and allowed him - and other newcomers - to learn more and put down roots.

History in a community is important, it shows us the gradual growth of a community over time. It shows our conflicts, our periods of unity, our successes, our defeats - everything is laid bare beneath our archives and it gives us a shared identity.

[Service]

I was honoured in the dying days of January when Joshua sacrificed his WA Mobility, something that was his main enjoyment in NationStates to serve as my Vizier, and ensure regional security and stability was kept in place at such a vital time in our development. His sacrifice at the time benefited the community, gave me some peace of mind, and allowed our Government to continue working on restoring diplomatic credibility for our community with our various sister sinkers and feeder cousins. His service allowed mine, and our government to continue serving Osiris' interests at the time. Now, nearly 9 months on from that date, we stand at the precipice of change, and it is a change that I, welcome. I am thrilled and overjoyed to see someone who was very much my most honoured and trusted friend in NationStates be selected by yourselves to serve as the Thirteenth Pharaoh of Osiris, and it brings me unmentionable joy to see it.

I think that with a fresh Pharaoh, someone who is separate from the "Old Guard", of the Kemetic Republic that Cormac and I come from, who has a new outlook on Osiris' place in the world, in how things should work is the best opportunity so far to lead Osiris in giving newcomers an opportunity to really establish roots in the community in order to allow them to carve a niche in Osiris for them; that keeps them here, that keeps them dedicated, and ready to work as part of the greater community to advance a common cause: Osiran stability, cohesion and fun.

To me that election, shows that my belief in that giving new citizens of Osiris opportunities encourages them to remain, and Osiris allowing new citizens to advance allows us to see new blood, new life and new chances - the next three months (or more) will be a time of great newness for Osiris, under a Pharaoh who will be experiencing a true mandate to promote Osiris but is unique compared to the previous for Pharaohs.

But now I think is the time where Osiris can do more for new players - encourage them to further to experience life as part of the Executive Departments, as a Councillor of the Deshret, in addition to serving with the Legion, or contributing to Osiran regional security as part of the Pharaohs endorsements, even forming a secondary group of emergency endorsements to secure the delegacy in the event of security threats. These are all events which see people put down roots, by serving Osiris and benefiting the entire community they are making it stronger and paving the way for future newcomers to experience a richer, more vibrant region than ever before.

[Roots]

Why do I constantly refer to putting down roots in a community? Everyone starts somewhere in a community, but most people don't stay for very long. For whatever reason, some people do not feel that there is a place for them to get involved, or a place to let them try something new and it can lead to a feeling of isolation, or a feeling of "I'm not appreciated here", "I don't know what to do... the people don't seem to trust me..." (that one was me in July 2012), but I managed somehow, despite the state of the community and the internal divisions to put down roots of my own, gradually I pushed upwards, and was in a firm enough position that whilst I knew Osiris was at that time a mess, it was home and I would do anything to ensure that our community stayed united against outside adversity, and I stuck to it, and quite a few of us did for a year, until problems arose in July 2013 when the community was literally torn apart.

The Community that was left didn't really start to heal, the new players that joined a lot didn't stay, there was no chance or opportunities for them to actually be involved with the community, everything was faction based, and it was a damaging time for the community which only started to heal when the Osiris Fraternal Order was formed.

Looking at names such as Andrew, Applebania, Wombat, Vaculatestar and James - people who have through one form or another positively contributed and enhanced Osiris' community, and government shows me more than ever before what Osiris is able to achieve when we are open to new talent. It is truly wonderful to see how fresh-perspectives, attitudes and people benefit our entire community, such as the people mentioned above.

I believe, and have witnessed that when we give newcomers a chance to experience new things for themselves, 90% of the time, our community benefits from it. In one large occasion in 2013 our trust was abused, and it led to an almost complete fracture of the community, which I shall talk about below in my final section.

[Security]

All in all, I am very happy with the choices for cabinet that have been presented but I would be remiss if I did not speak on the security of Osiris, and how I fear Treize Dreizehn serving as Vizier for a second term could impact it. The Deshret, in contrast to the Sepatarchy of the Kemetic Republic, is the primary body in Osiris which wields the most influence and power in how the region exists. You elect the Pharaoh, you confirm the Vizier, the Scribes, the Guardians and the Elders.

No other institution in Osiris has as much influence or as much as power collectively as the Councillors of the Deshret, led by their Keeper has over Osiran society, law and government... which makes this matter all the more important for us all.

In October 2012, Pharaoh George Holland-Stark appointed a newcomer to the role of Vizier of Culture. That newcomer later on switched to World Assembly Affairs and at the next election, in February 2013, he became Kai-Repat (Vice Delegate) to the Pharaoh. In May, following high tensions between the Pharaoh, and the Queen of Gatesville, the Pharaoh, George Holland-Stark resigned, and the Kai-Repat became Pharaoh. In June 2013 an argument in the Cabinet between him, the Minister of Security (Biyah), the Minister of Foreign Affairs (Myself), and several other members of the Cabinet turned sour. The topic was 60 random endorsements that had appeared out of nowhere since he took over (George had averaged around 100). The numbers were unheard of in Osiris at the time, and as a result his influence was sky high - and he could easily take on most of the regional heavyweights.

We found out where those endorsements came from and what the new influence would be used for, when the Pharaoh declared that Osiris was now owned by Gatesville Inc. That Pharaoh, was the sixth Pharaoh of Osiris, Treize Dreizehn who had for whatever reason engaged in a campaign of misinformation, manipulation and deceit to not just the community of Osiirs, but our allies, and our government. The damage that his actions caused will not be forgotten by those who worked against it and tried to liberate Osiris. His influence was pretty much similar to what he has now, and three months as Vizier will give him an even larger pool to work from.

Surely he'd have couped whilst he's in the delegacy now? No. He enjoys being unpredictable, couping now would be predictable as he knows that people are expecting him to do just that. He would wait until a time when people were more relaxed. He once warned us to keep him away from the Delegacy but unfortunately is in it regardless.

Am I saying that he is guaranteed to repeat history? No. I am saying that there is a risk, and it is a considerable point of concern for myself, and at least two former Pharaohs of the Osiris Fraternal Order. I am only the latest to voice my concerns about this and by no means am the only one to be thinking it.

The damage a coup could cause for Osiris is horrific. It would undo everything that has been achieved by previous governments, and the Deshret has the opportunity to ask the Pharaoh to submit a different candidate for the role of Vizier and avoid gambling with regional security. A disagreement on the choice of Vizier does not mean a disagreement on the choice of Scribe of Horus - they are separate positions and the Deshret can agree to one, but not the other at their wish.

It is rare that I must be so blunt, although I feel that the situation calls for it. Joshua has been aware of my concerns since day one. In fact, a great many people in this region, both Councillors or not have been aware of my concern - the past cannot be repeated, and all I can do is advise the Honourable Councillors of this house to consider whether they want to take a gamble on future stability and security of Osiris or choose a safer option which will soothe the reasonable concerns of a great many people who fought hard to bring you the Osiris you are able to work in today.

I would rather Osiris was vigilant and safe, than unknowingly walking into a minefield, however unwelcome my final message has been this evening I do not say it without cause - there is history behind my words. Osiris is enjoying its longest period of stability in its existence and I do not want to see that compromised or shattered by war (again!). One civil war was enough, both for me, and for Osiris.

Thank you all for your time.



Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris, Holder of the Commendation of Osiris, Vigilant of Horus, Seal of Vigilance and Crown of Osiris
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 -
"The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
User avatar
Vaculatestar
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Location: state secret

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Vaculatestar »

:agree:

Wonderful speech Pharaoh-Emeritus. It was a pleasure having you here. This thread is open to all Councilors that would like to ask Lord Ravenclaw questions on matters that he addressed in his speech here.
"Revenge is not my purpose my friend. Victory is, you can have your revenge afterword." -Jack of Spades
Spoiler
Kingdom of Great Britain- Prince Royal, Lord of Parliament, First Lord of the Admiralty
The Kingdom of Kvatch- King
Den- Corporal
User avatar
Lord Ravenclaw
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Lord Ravenclaw »

Thank you Keeper, it has already been a memorable experience just by writing this. I'll reply to any questions and comments later on today.
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 -
"The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
Treize Dreizehn
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am

Honors

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Treize Dreizehn »

By the by, I just proposed to resign my WA and hand it off to a trustworthy Osiran to hold(and move out of the region to diminish it's influence) while I continue to serve as Vizier using a fresh and influence free puppet. If Axis so requests, anyway. So. You know. That. ;)
User avatar
Lord Ravenclaw
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Lord Ravenclaw »

Thank you Treize, that is incredibly graceful of you, and is certainly a compromise that bodes consideration.
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 -
"The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
User avatar
Severisen Montresor
Resident
Resident
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 am

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Severisen Montresor »

I would volunteer to hold the nation. I think I have both the trust of Treize and of Osiris.


Deshreti
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris
Former Guardian of the Atef
Former Marshal General of the Sekhmet Legion
Nomarch of Terenuthis
Lord of House Isaraider
Treize Dreizehn
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am

Honors

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Treize Dreizehn »

Severisen Montresor wrote:Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:41 pmI would volunteer to hold the nation. I think I have both the trust of Treize and of Osiris.
You should really check your IRC queries. ;)
User avatar
Severisen Montresor
Resident
Resident
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 am

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Severisen Montresor »

Oddly enough, I was out of the house and made that post from my phone. In any event, if this is what the community wishes, I am willing to serve in that capacity.


Deshreti
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris
Former Guardian of the Atef
Former Marshal General of the Sekhmet Legion
Nomarch of Terenuthis
Lord of House Isaraider
User avatar
Cormac
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Honors

New Blood, Change and Opportunities.

Post by Cormac »

I would like to thank the Keeper for an invitation to address the Deshret as well, which he granted at my request. Like Raven, I won't be making a habit of this.

I would first of all like to congratulate Joshua for his election as Pharaoh. I think some of his competitors would also have done a fine job in the office and I was a bit troubled to see the hostility directed at some of them, particularly by members of the Hedjet who probably should have been a bit less vocal given their responsibilities and the greater political influence with which they have been entrusted. That influence should be used sparingly and in the best interests of the Osiris Fraternal Order, not to play kingmaker for self-interested reasons.

However, I know Joshua and I know he had nothing to do with that. That isn't how he carries himself in Osiris. So despite the disappointing conduct of some members of my former Hedjet, some of whom have been nominated to serve on the new Hedjet, I have every confidence that he will be a great Pharaoh. The calm and collected way he approaches matters may be just what the OFO needs right now and certainly he has earned the trust of this community, without ever abusing that trust as some of us have in the past.

Unlike Raven, I don't have a remarkably well put and thoughtful address for the Deshret. I will instead get straight to the point, bluntly, as I'm prone to doing. :P

Barring the compromise that Treize Dreizehn has offered but that the Pharaoh appears to have declined, the Deshret should not confirm Treize for a second term as Vizier. I'm not even sure he should be confirmed with that compromise. Let me be clear: Treize has done a great job in that office and in the other position he holds, Scribe of Foreign Affairs. I could not have asked for anyone to do a better job in either role, and he deserves much of the credit for what little good came from my term. My frustration and hostility was misdirected at him in the days after my resignation, and I sincerely regret that. My opposition to another term as Vizier, for him, is not personal nor is it coming from a place of mistrust that is particular to him -- though I must admit that despite his good, hard work, I do have some remaining reservations, reservations that he once repeatedly warned us we should continue to harbor.

I oppose a second term as Vizier for Treize for the following reasons:

1. I don't think anyone should ever be permitted enough of a regional influence gain that it becomes difficult to remove them from the Delegacy in the event of a coup d'etat. If not by law, by tradition the community has ensured in the Osiris Fraternal Order that this has not occurred. Treize is correct that the OFO has more Guardians than the Kemetic Republic ever had, with more (in-game) activity and higher endorsement counts than was typical for the KRO's security council. This has definitely played a significant role in preserving the region's security and stability.

But the OFO has also by tradition -- granted, unplanned tradition -- not had any Pharaoh or Vizier serve more than one term, and this has greatly limited the accumulation of regional influence for any single individual. This trend should continue. The Pharaoh, Vizier, and Guardians should remain on relatively equal footing in regard to regional influence, because this relatively equal footing both deters a coup in the first place and, in the event of a coup, ensures that it will not be long lasting.

Treize is also correct that influence decay will limit the accumulation of tremendous influence, but even with decay someone holding the second most endorsements for multiple terms is going to have an influence advantage. Unless there are compelling reasons to give such an advantage -- for example, no one else to serve -- for the region's security and stability, it shouldn't happen.

2. This brings me to my next point: There isn't a compelling reason that Treize must have a second term as Vizier.

Osiris must not allow itself to fall back into the "old guard" or "old boys' club" mentality that characterized the KRO. The OFO already has a record of being more open to providing opportunities for a broader cross-section of citizens, and to his credit we're seeing new faces on Joshua's Hedjet as well. Nonetheless, there are others who could do a good job as Vizier or at least should be given the chance to either do a good job or not. I won't name names, but some of those who also ran for Pharaoh -- among both those who withdrew and those who didn't -- would make great choices. There are others who would be solid choices as well. Why, then, return someone to a second term instead of elevating someone else's opportunity and enriching the region with fresh faces and new perspectives in government?

Treize Dreizehn has done a great service for the Osiris Fraternal Order, more than most, over the course of its entire existence. He has earned the trust of this community, and if there is any remaining distrust I would argue that it only exists because of his constant prior warnings that he should never again be trusted near the Delegacy. Nonetheless, I do believe he can be trusted as much as most people can, despite recently stating some misgivings.

Looking beyond Treize, this isn't really about individuals. This is about Osiris learning from its mistakes. While it was a mistake for the KRO to be so generally distrusting, it was also a mistake for the KRO to continually put its trust in single individuals -- even if they had earned it. That mistake came back to bite Osiris on more than one occasion. Power must be shared and trust must be shared, otherwise the accumulation of too much power and too much trust in one person or a small few leads to the kind of region nobody wants Osiris to revert to being.

Treize shouldn't be confirmed not because he is Treize Dreizehn, the dreaded tyrant of summer 2013. He is not that anymore. He has earned more respect than that, and he is now Treize Dreizehn, co-founder -- he deserves that title -- of the Osiris Fraternal Order. But he shouldn't be confirmed because it simply isn't healthy, and it wouldn't be healthy if it were someone else in this exact same situation either. Fresh faces, fresh perspectives, shared power and shared trust. That is the recipe for a healthy region and that is why someone else should be the Vizier of the Osiris Fraternal Order this term. That's the bottom line.

I thank the Deshret for its consideration, I sincerely thank Treize for his service not only during my term but since December. I once again congratulate Joshua for his election victory, and I wish he and his Hedjet well in the coming term.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris

"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Post Reply

Return to “Palace of the Deshret”