[Defeated] Convention on Domestic Partnership

Archive of General Assembly proposal discussion threads.

Moderators: Pharaoh, Sub-Vizier, Vizier, Chief Vizier

Adytus

Post by Adytus »

[justify]Acknowledging the significance of marriages and similar relationships in numerous member states,

Reaffirming the right to sexual privacy previously guaranteed by this Assembly,

Believing that an individual should generally be free to enter into a domestic partnership with others, to raise the children for whom they are responsible in the context of such a partnership, and to dissolve such a partnership if necessary,

Seeking to protect these rights while respecting the sociocultural and religious differences between member states,

The General Assembly,

Requires member states to permit a legally competent individual to:

enter into a domestic partnership with other legally competent individuals and thereby share a common domestic life together, with the mutual informed consent of all parties,

provide for, safeguard, and educate the children for whom the individual is legally responsible, in the context of a domestic partnership, and

dissolve a domestic partnership to which the individual is a party, regardless of whether the other parties consent to such dissolution;

Directs member states to provide appropriate assistance to individuals in the pursuit of any of the above, with the understanding that member states are free to treat domestic partnerships as a private contractual affair if they so choose;

Further requires member states to ensure that, upon the dissolution of a domestic partnership, all parties:

shall not be subject to disadvantageous treatment by a member state simply by virtue of seeking the dissolution without the consent of the other parties,

shall not lose legal guardianship of a child simply by virtue of the dissolution, and

shall receive an equitable portion of shared assets in accordance with the terms of the partnership and relevant law;

Prohibits member states from engaging in unjust discrimination in the application of the above provisions, including but not limited to disadvantageous treatment on the basis of the race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or legal mutual sexual activity of the parties to the domestic partnership;

Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted so as to prevent a member state from:

removing legal guardianship of a child from an individual or enforcing the terms of a child custody agreement when a competent tribunal determines that it would be in the best interests of the child, or

enforcing lawful restrictions on habitation or movement, such as imprisonment;

Reserves to member states the right to define, recognize, support, or regulate marriages, domestic partnerships, and similar relationships, to the extent permitted by this and previous World Assembly resolutions;

Further clarifies that nothing in this resolution prohibits the World Assembly from:

requiring the recognition of foreign marriages, domestic partnerships, and similar relationships that are otherwise valid in a member state's law,

regulating the distribution of assets following the dissolution of a marriage, domestic partnership, or similar relationship with international elements, or

engaging in generally applicable regulation that may affect marriages, domestic partnerships, and similar relationships as a secondary effect, such as regulation on sexual consent, legal guardianship, or contractual agreements or unions in general.[/justify]
The Anarchic Republic of AdytusLord Sarah of House Rahl, the Mirkhan Clan Syb: Ady is my favorite pervy CV.
Wrek: Adytus is just the personification of 69.
Adytus

Post by Adytus »

While this is a good work, I am voting against for more personal reasons relating to my nation. I intend to move more authoritarian, and this grants to much protection for citizens. On a regional level, it is kind of a gross overstepping of the general assembly's role. Nay.
The Anarchic Republic of AdytusLord Sarah of House Rahl, the Mirkhan Clan Syb: Ady is my favorite pervy CV.
Seahassee

Post by Seahassee »

Nay
Spoiler

Ghazia
Citizen
Citizen

Badges

Post by Ghazia »

Aye

Upon further review I have changed my vote to Nay
Ghazia-Rahman Ammarah bint Rigel al-Asteorra
She/Her/Hers || Proud Queer Muslim
Trans rights are human rights.
Ahauty of the Sekhmet Legion
Legion Ribbons
Zazumo

Post by Zazumo »

Abstain
Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

The author is Auralia, who is socially conservative, so there's bound to be some issue with this language that I'm failing to notice.

Nay.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris

"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Weast Jurmany

Post by Weast Jurmany »

Aye
- ((Jur))
Spoiler
WreK'd Wrektopia 2/20/2017
Kowassati

Post by Kowassati »

Nay
Bucket full of blood, gotcha on my mind
I'm gonna break my face on the sweet sunshine
Spoiler

Chief Vizier (Osiris)
Foreign Affairs Vizier (Osiris)
Protector of the Realm (Lazarus)
Grandee Secretary (Lazarus)
Vice Delegate (Lazarus)
Delegate (Lazarus)
Mike
Citizen
Citizen

Honors

Post by Mike »

Abstain
Former Positions
Foreign Affairs Vizier
Sub-Vizier of Diplomacy
Marshal General and Moshir of the Sekhmet Legion
Guardian of Osiris
His Serene Grace, Wiktor Orłowski-Skollvaldr, Irypatha of Nubt

Recipient of the Sword of Sekhmet

Declarer of wars, former Raider of regions

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Pro Fide, Lege et Rege

"Because we do not beg for our freedom. We fight for it." -General Witold Urbanowicz
Adytus

Post by Adytus »

For those of you voting aye, Cormac was right.
Auralia is a conservative, religious nation, one who opposes same-sex marriage, and they are engaging in a campaign of duplicity to try and fool the honourable and upstanding voters of the World Assembly into voting for a resolution which would, far from protect the rights of same-sex couples, actually allow nations to continue to treat them differently and bar them from the institution of marriage - and Auralia has confirmed that allowing nations to keep same-sex couples out of marriage is the point of this resolution.
I and I think everyone else was sent this via TG.

Return to “Shrine of Amun”