Investigation: RMB Post Suppression

Moderator: Pharaoh

Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

It has come to my attention, here, that there may be illegal scripts/tools still in use or recently in use to suppress Regional Message Board (RMB) posts in the course of raiding.

Eluvatar has indicated that while a technical solution to the problem has been imposed in the form of a rate limit throttle, "penalties might yet be in the pipeline."

I need to immediately know two things:

1) If any citizen of Osiris has used a script/tool to suppress RMB posts;
2) How recently.

This is an official investigation being conducted by the office of the Pharaoh. Failure to report the use of a script/tool used to suppress RMB posts, or encouraging anyone else to refuse to cooperate with this investigation, will be viewed as obstruction of this investigation and will result in the individual obstructing the investigation being referred to the Council of Guardians for revocation of citizenship. I can assure you that any individual whose citizenship is revoked for obstructing this investigation will not have their citizenship reinstated while I have anything to say about it.

Use of such scripts/tools should be reported to me even if you have not used them in or on behalf of Osiris. These reports can be privately made to the office of the Pharaoh.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris

"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Gradea

Post by Gradea »

Extremely disturbing news considering the recent use of illegal scripts in NS Gameplay. I only hope that the regional security of Osiris is protected during this incident and that no citizen of Osiris used this scripts.

Former Chief Scribe of Osiris
Former Vizier of Community Affairs
Former Guardian of Osiris
Sygian

Post by Sygian »

Has there been any further results of the moderator investigation? I haven't seen any but I know some people filed GHRs.

Sub-Vizier of Foreign Affairs
Patriarch of House Akhenaten
Baron of Koptos
Spoiler
Guardian
Chief Vizier
Chief Scribe
Vizier of WA Affairs (2x)
Forum Administrator
Spoiler
Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

Sygian Vasentius wrote:Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pmHas there been any further results of the moderator investigation? I haven't seen any but I know some people filed GHRs.
I did file a GHR, and I've not yet received a response.

Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

NationStates administration has determined that a tool created by Knot (Der Angreifer) and used by several other Osirans was probably illegal, but that it falls into such a grey, complex, and contradictory area of the script rules that the good faith intentions of its users, who believed they were using a legal tool, is sufficient to avoid any penalties being imposed by NationStates administration or moderation for past use of this tool. Obviously, the tool should not be used in the future now that it has been determined illegal.

As a result, no penalties will be imposed here in Osiris, either. That said, I must once again caution all Osirans against using tools or scripts to enhance their R/D experience. Everyone who used this tool believed it was legal; it wasn't. The script rules are so complicated that breaking them without even knowing you're breaking them is increasingly commonplace. It is time for raiders to set aside scripts and tools, because we cannot keep having repeat occurrences like this, whether rules are broken in good faith or deliberately. Next time, good faith may not matter; it certainly didn't for early Predator users who, at the time, had every reason to believe that tool was legal.

This investigation is concluded. I would like to thank the several people who cooperated. There have been no discovered incidents of failure to cooperate or of discouraging cooperation. I'm very proud of the way this has been handled by citizens of Osiris.

Der Angreifer

Post by Der Angreifer »

Cormac wrote:Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:03 amNationStates administration has determined that a tool created by Knot (Der Angreifer) and used by several other Osirans was probably illegal, but that it falls into such a grey and complex area of the script rules that the good faith intentions of its users, who believed they were using a legal tool, is sufficient to avoid penalties imposed by NationStates administration.
I do also have to stress that, contrary to Eluvatar's "ruling", [violet] isn't even sure that styles (changing the appearance of a webpage) even counts as a tool. [v] has stated that they'll be holding a Admin/Mod discussion over clarification of rules, since nothing is stated explicitly about styles in particular, as the only mention of the simultaneity rule is on scripts.

To be honest, I don't even know in what capacity Eluvatar made his "ruling".
Cormac

Honors

Post by Cormac »

Der Angreifer wrote:Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:11 am
Cormac wrote:Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:03 amNationStates administration has determined that a tool created by Knot (Der Angreifer) and used by several other Osirans was probably illegal, but that it falls into such a grey and complex area of the script rules that the good faith intentions of its users, who believed they were using a legal tool, is sufficient to avoid penalties imposed by NationStates administration.
I do also have to stress that, contrary to Eluvatar's "ruling", [violet] isn't even sure that styles (changing the appearance of a webpage) even counts as a tool. [v] has stated that they'll be holding a Admin/Mod discussion over clarification of rules, since nothing is stated explicitly about styles in particular, as the only mention of the simultaneity rule is on scripts.

To be honest, I don't even know in what capacity Eluvatar made his "ruling".
Yeah, it seemed sketchy and they don't seem to be on the same page. I did edit my post a bit to make clear that it fell into an area where their rules appear to be contradictory. Hopefully they will provide more clarity; when they have a situation in which their rules are so unclear that people are accidentally violating them while honestly believing they're in full compliance, that is more their fault than anyone else's.

In any event, it's clear that no one involved intended to do anything wrong, and I'm glad no penalties were imposed.

Return to “Palace of the Pharaoh”