Page 1 of 2

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:58 pm
by Ainocra
I have undertaken an extensive review of the State code of Osiris since I decided to run for Keeper.
I have several suggestions for amending it, and I will be introducing them for debate here over the next few days.

With the ongoing elections, I do not anticipate bringing this to a vote for a while yet.
I did however want to put the idea out there for some feedback and suggestions.


Section 2
Article 3 which reads

[3. The Pharaoh will have the power to appoint or remove any citizen as a senior cabinet official, styled Scribes of the Hedjet. Appointment of Scribes must be approved by the Deshret. Junior cabinet officials may be appointed at the discretion of the relevant Scribe.]3

[(a) The ministry of justice will be a mandatory executive ministry which must have a Scribe assigned to oversee it.]5
shall be amended to read as follows

[3. The Pharaoh will have the power to appoint or remove any citizen as a senior cabinet official, styled Scribes of the Hedjet. Appointment of Scribes must be approved by the Deshret. Junior cabinet officials may be appointed at the discretion of the relevant Scribe.]3

[(a) The ministries Defense, State (foreign ministry) Interior (culture) and Justice will be a mandatory executive ministry which must have a Scribe assigned to oversee it.]5

The language is rough, but it conveys the idea. All in all the aim is to provide a framework for a stable government while still giving the executive the flexibility they need in order to appoint cabinet officials for whatever purpose they might need for the task at hand.

All in all not a huge change but one that I feel is needed for the good of Osiris

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:11 pm
by Vaculatestar
I'll review this more closely later but you do know that the Deshret Conference room isn't necessary for EVERYTHING right? :P

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:21 pm
by Ainocra
yes, but I didn't wanna throw it out publicly yet. figured let the public worry about the election for now :)

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:21 am
by Ainocra
Now that the election is over I want to bring this up for public debate. I would like feedback, especially on the language

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 am
by Ridersyl
I'd suggest amending the language to something like: "The ministries that oversee _____, ______, ______," etc... so that no matter what the Pharaoh actually calls the position of the Scribe, the job description of the Scribe means the code undeniably applies to them.

Also I believe this will make it more difficult for Pharaoh's to get their Cabinet in order early on in their term, but it's also better for the overall health of Osiris so I support it despite that.

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:23 am
by Lord Ravenclaw
There used to be mandatory ministries. It failed, badly. They were repealed with only the Scribe of Seshat being left as mandatory.

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:06 am
by Ridersyl
I trust your word, but can you still expand on how it "badly failed"?

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:08 pm
by Zaolat
I'd like the idea that Pharaoh can create a "ministry" without any impediments if thee deem it necessary. Scribes would still be subject to law as is. Deshret could move to abolish a ministry if deemed useless or something?

Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:50 pm
by Ainocra
As I understand the way it's worded now the executive can create and organize new ones if they desire. I don't like the idea of the Deshret abolishing a ministry, I feel that treads too much on the executive and endangers separation of powers.

I agree with Syl, Raven, can you give us some more information on how they failed? I don't want to repeat past mistakes if we can avoid it.


as for making it harder to get the cabinet up and running, perhaps we could add something that specifically fast tracks executive appointments so we can get them to vote faster? or perhaps allows them to serve in the job recess style until confirmed.


Proposed Amendment to the State Code

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:57 pm
by Andrew
Ainocra wrote:Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:50 pmAs I understand the way it's worded now the executive can create and organize new ones if they desire. I don't like the idea of the Deshret abolishing a ministry, I feel that treads too much on the executive and endangers separation of powers.

I agree with Syl, Raven, can you give us some more information on how they failed? I don't want to repeat past mistakes if we can avoid it.


as for making it harder to get the cabinet up and running, perhaps we could add something that specifically fast tracks executive appointments so we can get them to vote faster? or perhaps allows them to serve in the job recess style until confirmed.
Do you mean like 'recess appointments', I do like that idea :)