Page 4 of 7

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:39 am
by Lord Ravenclaw
I have a slight case of foreign policy, reforms and training programs to work on, plus some events for Alexandria.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 am
by Theoden Sebastian
I'd rather not have the office under the Pschent. The Court should not involve itself in the prosecution of cases, nor appoint the person who shall be responsible for such action.

I prefer the alternative whereby we strike the Ministry as a mandatory Office under the Executive, and instead allow the Pharaoh the leeway to appoint one whenever the need arises.
The Pharaoh may appoint and dismiss a Chief Prosecutor when the need arises. The Chief Prosecutor shall oversee all criminal prosecution and represent the regional government in legal disputes pending in the Pschent.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:36 am
by Andrew
Theoden Sebastian wrote:Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 amI'd rather not have the office under the Pschent. The Court should not involve itself in the prosecution of cases, nor appoint the person who shall be responsible for such action.

I prefer the alternative whereby we strike the Ministry as a mandatory Office under the Executive, and instead allow the Pharaoh the leeway to appoint one whenever the need arises.
The Pharaoh may appoint and dismiss a Chief Prosecutor when the need arises. The Chief Prosecutor shall oversee all criminal prosecution and represent the regional government in legal disputes pending in the Pschent.
I like that idea, but perhaps there should be some oversight from the Deshret on the appointment for the reasons Raven outlined at some point in this thread.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 am
by Ainocra
The Deshret is already vested with powers of oversight and recall. If the mandatory requirement is stricken the Pharaoh can still designate a scribe of justice through the normal procedure. In the absence of one he would have the authority to delegate this duty per this passage in the state code.
4. The Pharaoh will have the power to further organize the executive branch of government. The Pharaoh may delegate any of the powers and areas of oversight prescribed to them under this Section to officials in the executive branch of government. Such delegation does not affect the exercise by the Pharaoh of any such power or oversight.
This particular clause is the one we have been using to allow me to maintain the unheaded ministries.


Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 pm
by Lord Ravenclaw
Sigh. I've decided to drop all opposition. I simply have far too much work to do and I'd rather not waste my time on drafting amendments which will be ignored (as normal) when I could be working on far more important matters where my views are actually welcome and considered.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm
by War Wombat
Its certainly a trickier subject than it looks.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:40 pm
by Ainocra
It really is. I was looking forward to your ideas on the subject. Hopefully you'll get more time and share them in the future. I move to bring this to a vote then.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 pm
by Festavo
I second the motion.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:55 pm
by Jakker
I don't quite get why this is being moved to a vote when it has called much discussion, a Judicial Review, and finally led Tim to nominate an appointment. There's no need for the rush and I question the legality of trying to remove a clause that is currently being reviewed by the Pschent.

I move to table the vote.

Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 pm
by Ainocra
There is no law that restricts when the state code may be amended by the Deshret. Removing the clause in question would affect any future cases along these lines but the Pschent is ultimately responsible for it's own operation and they have accepted the case. Just because we are moving toward a vote doesn't mean discussion cannot continue on the merits of the proposed amendment. Do you have something more to add to the discussion on the subject?