Page 11 of 11
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:04 pm
by Venico
I would like to motion this to vote again, in order to overcome the veto.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:13 pm
by Bran Triune
I second the motion.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm
by Applebania
I third it.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 pm
by Cormac
I'm going to make one final appeal to the Deshret in regard to this legislation. I approached a couple of you individually, but I got the sense that made you uncomfortable and I was a bit uncomfortable with it as well, even though I just wanted to provide the other side of the debate.
There are several problems with this Act, most of which are not addressed in the amendment Venico has presented. The supersized power of governors over territories is not addressed. Most importantly, however, what is not addressed and cannot be addressed is the problem that colonialism will divert activity from Osiris to UCR colonies. This can't be addressed because it can't be avoided. A good governor must spend time and energy on their colony or territory, and that is time and energy they will not be spending in Osiris. Even the best governor, the ideal governor, the governor totally dedicated to Osiris and wanting to build a colony solely to advance Osiris, will not be able to avoid diverting activity to a colony that could be spent in Osiris. People only have so much activity to give. Activity that is going elsewhere isn't going here. That is not opinion; that is fact.
Please bear a few things in mind. We have in the past had difficulty filling positions on the Hedjet and on the Atef. Indeed, this term I have reduced the size of the Hedjet to reflect the reality that we don't have the activity level to sustain a Hedjet as large as those we've seen in prior terms. Osiris doesn't have activity to spare on colonies and territories; Osiris needs Osiran activity here. There are many other ways to pursue an imperialist foreign policy, to pursue our regional interests and the projection of regional power on the world stage, besides colonialism. Let's pursue those alternative approaches to imperialism that don't require us to divert activity away from Osiris, because an approach that requires us to divert activity is an approach that is antithetical to imperialism. In NationStates, activity is power, and we won't be able to project what we don't have once it's being dispersed across colonies and territories.
Thank you for your consideration.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 pm
by Venico
I have to respectfully disagree on the issue of activity. What I see is the ability for us to draw upon colonies for the recruitment that we don't get to do. The Governors should be directing citizens of their region at us. Osiris can't recruit. Recruiting from other GCRs gets us recruited from by them and recruiting from UCRs gets us bombed by the Arnhelm folks. Sinkers have to rely on people from other regions looking at us and wanting to be a part of us. I think colonies can supplement that.
Colonies that become a center of culture and other things that pay homage to Osiris and are owned by a Deshret member is a good thing and can funnel membership towards us and make up for some of the recruiting that Osiris can't do. So while I understand Cormac's points, I have to disagree with them as activity and recruitment is one of the reasons I proposed this. Thank you.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 pm
by Cormac
Assuming we can even effectively recruit for colonies, which is a large assumption, as in every other region most nations aren't going to even register on the colony's forum. Those that do aren't all going to move to Osiris. How many recruits, realistically, are we talking about gaining for Osiris? A miniscule number, and that is if we can even effectively recruit which, if one looks at other colonies currently in existence throughout NationStates, is a doubtful assumption anyway.
What will definitely be true is that we'll have a governor spending time recruiting that they could be spending doing something here in Osiris. We may have other people from Osiris assisting the governor in recruiting, when they could instead be doing something here in Osiris. Stamps or a script, you say? Fine, but they'll still have to put in effort to get those people onto the colonial forum and then diverted to Osiris, effort that may or may not pay off but effort that definitely won't be spent in Osiris. Colonies that become centers of culture? Culture takes time. Culture takes effort. Culture takes people. Time, effort, people that could be in Osiris, but will be diverted to colonies and territories instead.
We don't have the activity to spend on the possibility that we'll get recruits from colonies, especially when the experience other regions have had with colonialism certainly have not brought them a recruitment bonanza. I appreciate that you're trying to be creative and find new ways to get more people involved in Osiris, Venico, I really do, but I'm incredibly concerned that this is going to have an effect that is the total opposite of what you're hoping. And once it has the detrimental effect I'm concerned it will have, it will take a long time to recover from that.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 pm
by George Rahl Mountbatten VI
Well, since the motion has been thirded can we get our vote on Mr. Keeper?
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 am
by Venico
Lord A. Somerset-Fominov wrote:Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:41 amWell, since the motion has been thirded can we get our vote on Mr. Keeper?
It already went to vote, was vetoed and is now up to vote again trying to overcome the Veto. Hope that helps Don.
Cormac, realistically it should be a single Deshreti's part time job of developing his colony and recruiting for it. Scripts do the recruiting and from the active people s/he gets, hopefully the Deshreti will be able to answer questions like "Why does it say Colony of Osiris in the WFE?" or "Why are you a part of Osiris?" and filter those people to us. Or at least generate interest.
Also holding a colony shows the military strength of Osiris and is the most direct way of spreading our influence. This policy isn't just meant for now, it's meant for the future. For times where we're not looking inward but looking outward and looking to expand. I don't see the negatives you do Cormac, just as you don't see my positives. In the end, I believe I'm right and when Osiris is expanding this policy will hopefully give us more fuel for our fires.