Rebels

Moderators: Pharaoh, Sub-Vizier, Vizier, Chief Vizier

User avatar
Impossible Girl
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by Impossible Girl »

Well, thanks for calling me ignorant :P

If I was told that I had to get rid of my dishwasher, my washing machine, my dryer and all of those devices that are in everyone's homes automating the jobs that people used to do, unless they had slaves, I would be very upset.
The mindset of many people 150 years ago, particularly in the south, was that a black person was worth only a fraction of what a white person was, and so owning them was acceptable. That attitude, unfortunately continues to exist today.
In my comfy chair, it is easy for me to ignore history and judge people. I'd like to think that I've adequately factored it into my opinion though. The confederate flag is held up as a symbol of pride of heritage, but if the people holding it up want to celebrate that one ugly episode of their heritage over everything else, well.
I doubt it's a coincidence that the ass behind the recent church massacre was a confederate flag waiver.
User avatar
Koth
Citizen
Citizen
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Honors

Rebels

Post by Koth »

I didn't mean anything harsh by saying "ignorant millennials", merely that there are many people our age that really just could not give less of a fuck about historical context and would rather just bitch about things because MUH SOCIAL JUSTICE. Didn't mean it towards you specifically, sorry :(

The jackass that shot up the church went out of his way to put a lot of symbolism into it. I hate the sensationalism of "because one person did x, we have to give him nationwide attention and change y"

His Majesty Ambroscus Koth Vytherov, Hasal-Pharaoh, Bru'uh of Osiris
Khetemtai in the House of Sekhmet
Recipient of the Crown of Osiris
Recipient of the Violet Jewel of Atum

User avatar
Impossible Girl
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by Impossible Girl »

So you maintain that the confederate flag is not a symbol of hate. That it simply represents the "glory days" of a time when the grandfathers of the South Carolinians weren't even alive. And in spite of it being terribly offensive, it is just a simple misunderstanding?

I didn't take your ignorant millennial comment personally. I was just busting your chops :)
User avatar
Koth
Citizen
Citizen
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Honors

Rebels

Post by Koth »

The Confederate flag was the symbol of the Confederates. They stood for much more than "hate". I guess I don't really give a shit if anyone is "offended", I never have been. I'm not the kind of person to call the police if someone has a swastika hanging on their door. It just doesn't seem like something that needs to be handled through legislation to make people "feel better". But that's my opinion and unfortunately arguing purely based on that isn't going to accomplish anything.

His Majesty Ambroscus Koth Vytherov, Hasal-Pharaoh, Bru'uh of Osiris
Khetemtai in the House of Sekhmet
Recipient of the Crown of Osiris
Recipient of the Violet Jewel of Atum

User avatar
Impossible Girl
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by Impossible Girl »

And what exactly do you think the confederates fought for? They fought to maintain a system in which blacks were the property of whites. Maybe labeling it as a symbol of hate goes a step too far. But I think we can both agree that it symbolizes a preference for a social order that no longer exists.
Removing it from the Capitol grounds is a statement by the states leadership that it is not something that the state as a whole endorses.
User avatar
Festavo
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by Festavo »

~Pharaoh Emeritus of the Osiris Fraternal Order~
Spoiler
Revall wrote:: Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat.
Plagentine wrote:: You got Festavo'd.
Skype Conversation excerpt:
[8:02:13PM] Nuke: but how can you be more dangerous than festavo? now that guy is a real fucking OG
[8:02:46PM] Koth: Are you drunk, Nuke?
Valrifell wrote:God dammit Fest, you think too much!
Koth wrote:I'm a fucking raider, everyone else can blow me.
Spoiler
User avatar
War Wombat
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by War Wombat »

"As a marsupial, you provide the insult"

-TAO


Spoiler


Former Titles:
Spoiler
Keeper of the Deshret
Vizier of Osiris
Scribe of Culture
Assistant Director of the Diplomatic Service of Osiris
Ambassador of Osiris to The North Pacific
Ambassador of Osiris to the South Pacific (possibly)
Member of the Balder Riksdag
User avatar
Impossible Girl
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 am

Rebels

Post by Impossible Girl »

The surrender flag, priceless Wombat. Thanks.
Post Reply

Return to “General Archive”