Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Moderator: Pharaoh
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Well all executive powers are derived from the pharaoh. So he can appoint a special prosecutor should one be needed, and the ministry of justice is currently staffed. We do have deputies available to try cases should they be needed. So it isn't like removing this line would actually harm the ministry.
Alcon Enta
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
- War Wombat
- Posts: 1761
- Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 am
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Maybe the Keeper should serve in the position if no Justice Scribe exists. Balance of powers, sort of thing, you know?
"As a marsupial, you provide the insult"
-TAO

Former Titles:
-TAO

Spoiler

Former Titles:
Spoiler
Keeper of the Deshret
Vizier of Osiris
Scribe of Culture
Assistant Director of the Diplomatic Service of Osiris
Ambassador of Osiris to The North Pacific
Ambassador of Osiris to the South Pacific (possibly)
Member of the Balder Riksdag
Vizier of Osiris
Scribe of Culture
Assistant Director of the Diplomatic Service of Osiris
Ambassador of Osiris to The North Pacific
Ambassador of Osiris to the South Pacific (possibly)
Member of the Balder Riksdag
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Not a bad idea but it does have a few problems. That would mean the Keeper doubling up on jobs, and since the powers are derived from the executive that would run counter to the separation of powers. I couldn't see that being needed unless it was the Pharaoh on trial.
Alcon Enta
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
- Lord Ravenclaw
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
The Scribe of Justice is the one executive office besides that of Vizier that the Pharaoh cannot dismiss at will. The Scribe of Justice is meant to be a neutral figure who will act as the Solicitor-General, as well as the legal advisor to the Pharaoh and the Cabinet. At the same time, they are meant to be the primary representative of the region to the Courts. Their Ministry is to give legal opinions on possible courses of action at the request from citizens; as a note I don't believe ordinary citizens can request the Court to personally act and those requests must be filed by the Scribe of Justice.
I do not support removing this mandatory ministry. The amendment was written so as to prevent the Pharaoh airbrushing and covering up possible trials and misdeeds, which require a prosecutor to prosecute. I see no reason why it should be removed.
I would generally advise against legislating against this Ministry on the basis it "doesn't do very much"... isn't that meant to be a good thing?
I do not support removing this mandatory ministry. The amendment was written so as to prevent the Pharaoh airbrushing and covering up possible trials and misdeeds, which require a prosecutor to prosecute. I see no reason why it should be removed.
I would generally advise against legislating against this Ministry on the basis it "doesn't do very much"... isn't that meant to be a good thing?
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
In point of law you are incorrect. There is no law granting the scribe of justice any special protection from dismissal.The Scribe of Justice is the one executive office besides that of Vizier that the Pharaoh cannot dismiss at will.
Alcon Enta
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
- Lord Ravenclaw
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Lovely. I suspect that clause was lost to compromise. It was originally, from my recollection, meant to be an added level of protection to stop the Pharaoh overruling the Justice Scribe.
I think that needs to be added in. Things should be done right.
I think that needs to be added in. Things should be done right.
2.3a: The Ministry of Justice shall be a mandatory Ministry which must have a Scribe assigned to Oversee it. A Scribe may be nominated by the Pharaoh and confirmed by the Deshret. A Scribe of Jusice may only be removed by the Deshret following the appropriate procedures.
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
Such an amendment would violate the separation of powers, and does not take into account the stark reality of the situation.
Finding a qualified candidate, that is both able and willing to serve is rather difficult as evidenced by the past administration's failure to do so.
I will have to oppose any such measure.
Finding a qualified candidate, that is both able and willing to serve is rather difficult as evidenced by the past administration's failure to do so.
I will have to oppose any such measure.
Alcon Enta
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
- Lord Ravenclaw
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
You are forgetting that the original state code had it listed that the Pharaoh could not dismiss their Scribes. The Deshret had to recall them. When the edit was discussed to remove the mandatory ministries, sans Justice and to allow the Pharaoh to hire and fire their scribes at will, it was the intention that Justice be protected in order to prevent abuses of power by the Pharaoh.
Oppose it all you like. The lack of protection for that office is an oversight that needs to be corrected. I see no reason to loosen the restrictions on this area, if anything I think if a job should be done, it should be done right.
Is it an issue finding someone? Then have the Pharaoh nominate the Vizier officially for those roles. As it stands, the fact that the Vizier is apparently handling multiple departments but isn't officially accountable to the Deshret is a concern.
Oppose it all you like. The lack of protection for that office is an oversight that needs to be corrected. I see no reason to loosen the restrictions on this area, if anything I think if a job should be done, it should be done right.
Is it an issue finding someone? Then have the Pharaoh nominate the Vizier officially for those roles. As it stands, the fact that the Vizier is apparently handling multiple departments but isn't officially accountable to the Deshret is a concern.
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
I am only concerned with the current state code. In my view having a mandatory ministry is an oversight that needs to be remedied in order to maintain a functioning government.
So you contend that the Vizier cannot be held accountable by the Deshret?
I beg to differ, If the Vizier is not doing his job then I have no doubt that the Deshret would relieve him of it.
So you contend that the Vizier cannot be held accountable by the Deshret?
I beg to differ, If the Vizier is not doing his job then I have no doubt that the Deshret would relieve him of it.
Alcon Enta
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
Fleet Marshal of Ainocra
Former Foreign Minister and Top Banana of Monkey Island
Former Keeper of the Deshret and Vizier of Osiris
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
- Lord Ravenclaw
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: The Kingdom of Alexandria
Amendment to section 2;3;a; posthumus Discussion
I contend that the Vizier is responsible for the Atef and in-game security. If the Pharaoh wishes to nominate the Vizier officially for various scribe roles, I'd support it. I'd even support an amendment to allow it, if it's not possible under the current code.
What I do not support, at all, is the loosening of restrictions on an essential ministry.
What I do not support, at all, is the loosening of restrictions on an essential ministry.
Joshua Ravenclaw
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator
5th April 2012 - "The Pharaoh-Emeritus of the Imperial Crown" - The Tenth Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Pharaoh of Osiris, First elected Pharaoh of the Osiris Fraternal Order, Former Advisor to the Pharaoh of Osiris
Former Spokespriest and Priest of the Council of Ma'at, Deputy Grand Hedjeti and Priest of the Hedjet and Guardian of the Atef
Former Vice Delegate, Justice and Chief Justice, Former Sepatarch, Co-Spokesperson of the Sepatarchy
Former Vizier of Foreign Affairs, Scribe of Foreign Affairs, Deputy of Foreign Affairs and Director of the Diplomatic Service
Former Global Moderator and Administrator