Page 2 of 4

Justice Nomination

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm
by War Wombat
I third.

Justice Nomination

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:50 pm
by Tomb
I fourth.

~ Tomb

Justice Nomination

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 am
by Ainocra
I move to bring this to a vote as soon as possible.


Justice Nomination

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 am
by Amerion
Councillor Datford-Zyvetskistaahn, do you have any other questions you would like me to answer? I am more than happy to do so.

Justice Nomination

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:30 pm
by Datford-Zyvetskistaahn
I think those questions suffice for the moment, I might ask more.

Justice Nomination

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 pm
by Andrew
Ainocra wrote:Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:51 amI move to bring this to a vote as soon as possible.
Do I see a second?

Justice Nomination

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 pm
by Jakker
I second the motion.

It does seem like Datford-Zyvetskistaahn has questions he'd like answered, so I hope Amerion sees them at some point.

Justice Nomination

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm
by Datford-Zyvetskistaahn
The aforesaid potential further questions have came to me.

Does he have any particular view as to the future of the Priesthood and Scribe of Seshat, in light of the recent discussions as to potentially transferring its functions to the Pschent/the Keeper, and to the means by which the Scribe is chosen;

Related to my second earlier question, does he view that the Kenbet proposed and created (though, I do not think fully implemented and since abandoned) by the then Scribe of Seshat, now Elder Zeorus, has merit as a method of providing legal assistance to citizens and organs of government, and would he implement a similar system?

(Linky to the relevant announcement on the Kenbet)

Justice Nomination

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:24 pm
by Amerion
I would like to note that I have seen the questions and will answer them as soon I can.

Justice Nomination

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:56 pm
by Amerion
Does he share the opinion of the Seshat that actions of the executive are, barring extraordinary circumstances, beyond judicial review;
As the Vizier has offered, “any action that falls within the constitutionally mandated duties of the executive is, barring extraordinary circumstances; beyond such review.”

On this note, I would agree with the Vizier. However, all actions which go beyond their respective constitutionally provided mandate is applicable for review by the Seshat.
Does he support the present practice of the Seshat, in regards to issuing advisory opinions on matters of law, that is, does he think it should continue and, if so, how does he think it could be improved, if at all;
I am supportive of issuing non-binding advisory opinions regarding questions of law. I believe that it will indeed continue. To the last point addressed in your question, should I be confirmed, I will conduct a thorough review of the current system employed by the Seshat to determine areas of possible improvement and present it for public opinion.
What is his opinion on the extent to which the Seshat can, and should, be permitted to refuse to bring a criminal charge before the Pschent;
Should grounds for prosecution, evidence and possibility of conviction exist then the Seshat will not dismiss a case. It is the duty of the Seshat to represent the people in these matters and it will do so accordingly. The Seshat should not be permitted to refuse to bring forth a criminal charge if the aforementioned exist.
What hat, of the following three, would he most prefer to wear, were he required, and why: bowler hat, top hat, trilby?
This is a difficult question. I would have to say that I would prefer to wear a bowler on the basis that I look would damn good, as usual.
Does he have any particular view as to the future of the Priesthood and Scribe of Seshat, in light of the recent discussions as to potentially transferring its functions to the Pschent/the Keeper, and to the means by which the Scribe is chosen;
I shall speak objectively on this matter. As a Councillor, I am satisfied with the status quo and I respectfully disagree with nations who find the vacancy of positions and in this instance the lack of activity by the Seshat to be reasons for the removal such positions. I find the lack of activity necessitated of the Seshat to be a positive. My stance on this matter is that the Scribe of Justice should be afforded substantial independence. This is imperative should the holder be required to prosecute nations who he/she are subordinate to. However with this being said, I defer the matter to my fellow Councillors who do not have a vested interest in the issue.
Does he view that the Kenbet proposed and created (though, I do not think fully implemented and since abandoned) by the then Scribe of Seshat, now Elder Zeorus, has merit as a method of providing legal assistance to citizens and organs of government, and would he implement a similar system?
It would be my first priority as Scribe to review all suggestions put forth or previously made. In due time, I will examine this system and welcome input from my fellow nations.