Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
Moderator: Pharaoh
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
I'm currently reworking that part of the bill to try to compromise with you here a bit. So give me a bit and I'll get back to you. 

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
Have a Deshret recall, to remove them. Not every removal will be due to rogue activity either, but it allows the region to make changes if necessary, etc.Venico BrightAxe wrote:Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 pmOk so there are two things I'd like the Deshret to discuss about possibly adding to the amendment.
1) Seeing how Cormac has responded to the root administrator position, I shall seek a compromise here. We create a Governor-General position who is not regularly changed much like the Pschent who would be responsible for logging into founder nations in case of Governor inactivity. Things to discuss would be recallability? Deshret confirmation? I want this position to be as permanent as possible because we want the least amount of people touching the nation. There are already two guaranteed, the person who nabs the refound and the Governor. Three if this Governor-General has to log on. More if there are successors. So what we need is a position that is relatively stable and doesn't change. That's why I chose the Root account, but if we can seek a compromise here, I'm for it.
Zaolat
The First Pharaoh, Pharaoh Emeritus
The First Pharaoh, Pharaoh Emeritus
Spoiler
Avakael wrote:If the UDL is an NGO, then the LKE is very clearly conducting a war on terrorism. Terrorism perpetuated by the United Defenders League, lead by a man who has shaped his organization to have a culture of wishing to wear tights, live in forests, and possibly even dress up as furries, something which only Todd McCloud may do. I believe this war, therefore, should not be a matter of raiding and defending. It's a matter of moral decency. Don't wear tights. Don't live in forests. Don't dress up and roleplay as animals. It's wrong, and the LKE is taking the initiative to exterminate this horrible organization.
<+Zaolat> you know I hear if a man eats lots of pineapples and it's juice good things happen
<+Xoriet>
<+Xoriet> Awesome
<@Venico> Sigged
<+Xoriet> VENICO
<+Zeorus> XD
<@Venico> Xoriet! <3
<+Xoriet> I meant Nox's Nether Faerie Dragon ;x;
<@Venico> Uh huh, Sure
<+Xoriet> I didn't even see Zao's thing
<+Xoriet> ;x;
<+Xoriet> I hate you all
<@Venico> Nope
<@Venico> That's copyright
<@Venico> Night Father TM
<@Treize_Dreizehn> <Xoriet> I didn't even see Zao's thing <--- That's what she said.
<@Treize_Dreizehn> my work here is done
<@Venico> Did the pineapple improve it Xoriet?
<+Xoriet> Now I really hold deep loathing for all of you ={
-
Treize Dreizehn
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
I've worked on an amendment I hope we can all agree on, with a little help from Venico.
Colonies and Territories Act
Section 1: Colonial Status
1) A colony region shall be defined as any region that has been refounded by the military of Osiris or any region that has requested colonial status, was accepted by a majority Deshret vote and approved by the Pharaoh.
2) The Pharaoh may, with Deshret approval, revoke the colonial status, as outlined in this act, of any region.
Section 2: Government
1) Should a region be granted colonial status, its extant government shall be respected by the Osiris Fraternal Order (OFO).
2) Where a region has no extant government, or in the case of a region that has been refounded by the military of the OFO, a Governor shall be appointed by the Pharaoh.
3) Governors shall be tasked with managing the colony and maintaining the founder nation, if one exists, for the colony region.
4) Governors must be members of the Deshret in good standing.
5) Should any governor resign his position, cease to exist, or fail to maintain Deshret membership they shall be responsible for naming a successor. If no successor is named within five days of such an event the Pharaoh shall name a successor.
6) The Deshret shall be responsible for approving any Governor's successor. Should the Deshret fail to approve a named successor, the former governor will have another five days to name another.
7) The password of a colony's founder account, if one exists, may only be changed with approval from the Pharaoh.
Section 3: Governor-General
1) The Pharaoh shall appoint, with approval from the Deshret, a Governor-General, who shall be tasked with maintaining information related to each colony region.
2) The Governor-General shall, following any Pharaoh election, be tasked with providing the Pharaoh and Deshret with a list of all colony regions and will provide the Deshret with a summary of the state of each colony under this act.
3) The Governor-General shall maintain a record of the password to each colony region founder account.
4) The Governor-General shall serve until resignation or until a recall is requested by the Pharaoh and approved by the Deshret.
5) Should any colony's founder account password change, the Governor-General shall be notified in order to update his records.
Section 4: Rights and Responsibilities
1) A colony region must maintain that it is an ally of Osiris in the World Factbook Entry.
2) A colony region must maintain ingame embassies with Osiris, and should it have an offsite forum, a forum embassy with Osiris.
3) In the event of any legitimate threat to a colony region, the OFO shall be tasked with defending and preserving said colony region.
Section 5: Errata
1) Should the Colonies and Territories Act fail to pass, this amendment shall have no legal effect.
2) Should the Colonies and Territories Act and this amendment ultimately pass into law, Section 5 of this bill shall be struck from the public record.
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
I whole heartedly support this draft and will be adding it to the OP. I'd like to thank Treize for working with me on this and helping me understand a bit better how to write legislative stuff. =P

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
As this resolves the constitutional problems I've identified, I will not veto this amendment. Thank you to Treize and Venico for addressing those problems.
However, I also will not sign this amendment. It will sit in the Royal Throne Room for seven days without signature or veto, and then it will automatically become law without the Pharaoh's signature. I remain opposed to the pursuit of colonialism, as I continue to believe that it will divert needed activity from Osiris to colonies and territories. That is a debate that I've clearly lost for the time being, though it likely will be revisited in the future if and when this law is implemented to pursue colonialism.
I won't use a veto to attempt to get my way in a debate that I've lost, but I also will not attach my signature to a policy that I believe will be detrimental to the Osiris Fraternal Order in the long run. That responsibility can rest solely with the members of the Deshret who have authored and voted for the Colonies and Territories Act.
However, I also will not sign this amendment. It will sit in the Royal Throne Room for seven days without signature or veto, and then it will automatically become law without the Pharaoh's signature. I remain opposed to the pursuit of colonialism, as I continue to believe that it will divert needed activity from Osiris to colonies and territories. That is a debate that I've clearly lost for the time being, though it likely will be revisited in the future if and when this law is implemented to pursue colonialism.
I won't use a veto to attempt to get my way in a debate that I've lost, but I also will not attach my signature to a policy that I believe will be detrimental to the Osiris Fraternal Order in the long run. That responsibility can rest solely with the members of the Deshret who have authored and voted for the Colonies and Territories Act.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris
"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris
"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
I'd like to motion this amendment to vote.

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
ignore
Andrew Grey-Anumia
Spoiler
- Former x2 term Minister of HA (TNP)
- Incumbent Deputy Min. of HA (TNP)
- Incumbent Court Justice (TNP)
- NPA Corporal (TNP)
- HA Mentoring Director (TNP)
- x3 Keeper of the Osiran Deshret (Osiris)
- x2 Scribe of Media (Osiris)
- Sekhmet Legion Corporal (Osiris)
- x3 Former Curator of the Deshret (Osiris)
- Councilor of the Deshret
- Former Deputy Director of the Assembly (Lazarus)
- Former Minister of War (Balder)
- Former Minister of Integration and Civic Service (Balder)
- Jomskivikings (Balder)
- x1 member of the Storting (Balder)
- x2 Member of the Senat (La France)
- x1 Prime Minister of La France
- x2 Member of Parliament (CoDN)
- Election Commissioner (TNP)
- x1 Minister of Foreign Affairs (CoDN)
- Interim Prime Minister (CoDN)
- Citizen of every GCR except TEP and TRR, Former Citizen of Europeia, Spiritus and CoDN. Citizen of Albion, KBG, UK, BI and Alexandria
Spoiler

Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
Given that I've filed for judicial review of the Colonies and Territories Act (the original version), I would suggest that the Deshret either hold off on this amendment pending the outcome of that case, or repeal the Colonies and Territories Act and replace it with this new version (which could be done by tacking a repeal onto the end of this, instead of making this an amendment).
The reasoning for this is that if the Colonies and Territories Act is nullified by the Pschent while this is at vote, the legislation this will be amending will no longer exist. Which will mean having to reintroduce this as new legislation all over again, another eight days of the Deshret's time.
The reasoning for this is that if the Colonies and Territories Act is nullified by the Pschent while this is at vote, the legislation this will be amending will no longer exist. Which will mean having to reintroduce this as new legislation all over again, another eight days of the Deshret's time.
His Majesty Cormac Skollvaldr
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris
"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Bru'uh of Osiris - Co-Founder of the Osiris Fraternal Order
Hasal-Pharaoh of Osiris (3x)
Khetemtai in the House of Osiris
"Follow your arrow wherever it points." - Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
Given the Pschent's usual time for things, I'd suggest a small wait but proceeding after that. Hopefully the Pschent will decide on this matter quickly so the Deshret can proceed past this issue. Since it will take a week anyways before this can go to vote, I suggest we reopen discussion at that time.Cormac wrote:Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 amGiven that I've filed for judicial review of the Colonies and Territories Act (the original version), I would suggest that the Deshret either hold off on this amendment pending the outcome of that case, or repeal the Colonies and Territories Act and replace it with this new version (which could be done by tacking a repeal onto the end of this, instead of making this an amendment).
The reasoning for this is that if the Colonies and Territories Act is nullified by the Pschent while this is at vote, the legislation this will be amending will no longer exist. Which will mean having to reintroduce this as new legislation all over again, another eight days of the Deshret's time.

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
-
Treize Dreizehn
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
Colonies And Territories Part II: Overcoming the Veto
Putting this as a repeal would necessarily be the same thing as an amendment, but would go into effect regardless of the current law's validity. Since this is essentially a replacement anyway, it may be prudent to go that route if the Pshent hasn't ruled on this by the timeline y'all are comfortable with.
If I had money to bet, this won't be resolved by them for quite some time.
If I had money to bet, this won't be resolved by them for quite some time.