[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Moderator: Pharaoh
-
Treize Dreizehn
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
If the original draft's author doesn't want to be associated with your new draft, it's custom to make your own thread for it.
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Ok sorry guys, I've been working up some initiative. Legislating and the legislature is the part of this region I hate the most so please bear with me. xD
1) Why do we need a Colonies Act?
Well the truth is we have an imperialist/raider military who goes out and actively attacks and tries to refound founderless regions. Osiris has one colony left over from Asta's Sandbox and we will be acquiring more in the future. They can either sit like trophies and be unlegislated as they are now, or we can try to turn them into something that benefits us. A place to recruit for Osiris and develop culture is ultimately more beneficial than a trophy. Right now there is no option for that and there needs to be if we're going to actively pursue refounds of regions.
2) Do the Governors have too much power?
Good question. Some will argue yes and while I understand their concerns let me explain why too much power is better for Osiris in the long run, than too little power. One thing that can kill a region and cause tensions is by looming over it and dictating it from afar. Ultimately a Governor needs to have the power to shape the region into something amazing without having to check in with the mothership ever few days. Lauding our power over a region and restricting what they can do will A) Lead to tensions between us and them B) Hinder the region's ability to grow and become a hub for Osiran culture and recruitment. Neutering the Governor and ergo the Colony cannot yield the fruit we're looking for.
3) But what if they steal the colony?
These are the people who have sworn oaths to Osiris, write her laws, and run for Pharaoh. I do not deny that when choosing a Governor, the Pharaoh has a duty to choose someone loyal to Osiris and someone he or she believes will stand by the region. If that bond is broken and they are willing to be kicked out of Osiris for another region...then we have far graver issues at hand than the loss of a colony. Hell we run a much greater risk of electing someone Pharaoh, then we risk losing Osiris. The loss of a councilor is ten times greater than the loss of a colony. I recognize that we are taking this risk, but it's a minimal and necessary one in my opinion in order to get a functioning colony.
4) Definition
I wouldn't mind defining Colony in the bill but I find your definition rather restricting as it doesn't allow for regions to be accepted that haven't been invaded but would like to become a colony. I can add a clause defining what a colony is but first...I'd like my original draft back. Vac edited my draft after little to no discussion and without my consent. And what is even more frustrating is that he waited until I was LoA before he started editing things in so I couldn't object to it. So we'll continue this conversation when I have my bill back, thank you.
5) Why not CSP's draft?
Well this one is a bit trickier as his bill is a lot better worded than mine and better written. Again, my adventures into legislating tend to come with me slowly ripping my hair out of frustration. =P But ultimately while his claims to bring more power for Osiris, it brings less overall to our region. His bill allows for trophies and restricts the region to the point of not having room for growth, which ultimately benefits us more than a claim on a dead region's WFE. We need that growth and while I understand what he's trying to accomplish with his bill, I believe mine ultimately gives more to Osiris.
1) Why do we need a Colonies Act?
Well the truth is we have an imperialist/raider military who goes out and actively attacks and tries to refound founderless regions. Osiris has one colony left over from Asta's Sandbox and we will be acquiring more in the future. They can either sit like trophies and be unlegislated as they are now, or we can try to turn them into something that benefits us. A place to recruit for Osiris and develop culture is ultimately more beneficial than a trophy. Right now there is no option for that and there needs to be if we're going to actively pursue refounds of regions.
2) Do the Governors have too much power?
Good question. Some will argue yes and while I understand their concerns let me explain why too much power is better for Osiris in the long run, than too little power. One thing that can kill a region and cause tensions is by looming over it and dictating it from afar. Ultimately a Governor needs to have the power to shape the region into something amazing without having to check in with the mothership ever few days. Lauding our power over a region and restricting what they can do will A) Lead to tensions between us and them B) Hinder the region's ability to grow and become a hub for Osiran culture and recruitment. Neutering the Governor and ergo the Colony cannot yield the fruit we're looking for.
3) But what if they steal the colony?
These are the people who have sworn oaths to Osiris, write her laws, and run for Pharaoh. I do not deny that when choosing a Governor, the Pharaoh has a duty to choose someone loyal to Osiris and someone he or she believes will stand by the region. If that bond is broken and they are willing to be kicked out of Osiris for another region...then we have far graver issues at hand than the loss of a colony. Hell we run a much greater risk of electing someone Pharaoh, then we risk losing Osiris. The loss of a councilor is ten times greater than the loss of a colony. I recognize that we are taking this risk, but it's a minimal and necessary one in my opinion in order to get a functioning colony.
4) Definition
I wouldn't mind defining Colony in the bill but I find your definition rather restricting as it doesn't allow for regions to be accepted that haven't been invaded but would like to become a colony. I can add a clause defining what a colony is but first...I'd like my original draft back. Vac edited my draft after little to no discussion and without my consent. And what is even more frustrating is that he waited until I was LoA before he started editing things in so I couldn't object to it. So we'll continue this conversation when I have my bill back, thank you.
5) Why not CSP's draft?
Well this one is a bit trickier as his bill is a lot better worded than mine and better written. Again, my adventures into legislating tend to come with me slowly ripping my hair out of frustration. =P But ultimately while his claims to bring more power for Osiris, it brings less overall to our region. His bill allows for trophies and restricts the region to the point of not having room for growth, which ultimately benefits us more than a claim on a dead region's WFE. We need that growth and while I understand what he's trying to accomplish with his bill, I believe mine ultimately gives more to Osiris.

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
- Vaculatestar
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: state secret
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
OP edited back to original text.
"Revenge is not my purpose my friend. Victory is, you can have your revenge afterword." -Jack of Spades
Spoiler
Kingdom of Great Britain- Prince Royal, Lord of Parliament, First Lord of the Admiralty
The Kingdom of Kvatch- King
Den- Corporal
The Kingdom of Kvatch- King
Den- Corporal
- Vaculatestar
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
- Location: state secret
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
This is what I'm going to do. I'm going to motion to vote on the version in the OP because this really does need to be taken care of.
Motion to vote.
Motion to vote.
"Revenge is not my purpose my friend. Victory is, you can have your revenge afterword." -Jack of Spades
Spoiler
Kingdom of Great Britain- Prince Royal, Lord of Parliament, First Lord of the Admiralty
The Kingdom of Kvatch- King
Den- Corporal
The Kingdom of Kvatch- King
Den- Corporal
- Severisen Montresor
- Resident

- Posts: 2432
- Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 am
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
I'll second.


Deshreti
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris
Former Guardian of the Atef
Former Marshal General of the Sekhmet Legion
Nomarch of Terenuthis
Lord of House Isaraider
-
Treize Dreizehn
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
I hate to be pedantic, but the current draft up for vote is meaningless without a solid definition of a colony. I'm going to have to go on record against.Treize Dreizehn wrote:Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pmThere is nothing in that current draft about how colonies are established. Just guidelines for how to run them. What is a colony in this draft?
-
Common-Sense Politics
- Posts: 179
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:00 am
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Apparently the amount of time a measure has been considered is a more pressing issue than its quality.Treize Dreizehn wrote:Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 pmI hate to be pedantic, but the current draft up for vote is meaningless without a solid definition of a colony. I'm going to have to go on record against.Treize Dreizehn wrote:Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pmThere is nothing in that current draft about how colonies are established. Just guidelines for how to run them. What is a colony in this draft?
Common-Sense Politics Nicholas Anumia
Son of Julian Anumia, Father to McEntire
Priest of Apis
Councilor of the Deshret
Legionnaire of the Sekhmet Legion
Former Curator of the Deshret
Son of Julian Anumia, Father to McEntire
Priest of Apis
Councilor of the Deshret
Legionnaire of the Sekhmet Legion
Former Curator of the Deshret
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
I told Vac earlier that had he given me about an hour warning I could have included the definition of a colony and written up an amendment to the Criminal Codex to go along side it. But, to be honest I didn't (and still don't) see this thing passing. Cormac is against it this time around and I'm not whipping votes for a 2/3 majority.Treize Dreizehn wrote:Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 pmI hate to be pedantic, but the current draft up for vote is meaningless without a solid definition of a colony. I'm going to have to go on record against.Treize Dreizehn wrote:Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pmThere is nothing in that current draft about how colonies are established. Just guidelines for how to run them. What is a colony in this draft?
So I expect this to go to vote then die.

~First Lord of Giza~
The Axe of Osiris
[Discussion] Colonies and Territories Act
Personally, I think the proposal is shoddy and am against.
Zaolat
The First Pharaoh, Pharaoh Emeritus
The First Pharaoh, Pharaoh Emeritus
Spoiler
Avakael wrote:If the UDL is an NGO, then the LKE is very clearly conducting a war on terrorism. Terrorism perpetuated by the United Defenders League, lead by a man who has shaped his organization to have a culture of wishing to wear tights, live in forests, and possibly even dress up as furries, something which only Todd McCloud may do. I believe this war, therefore, should not be a matter of raiding and defending. It's a matter of moral decency. Don't wear tights. Don't live in forests. Don't dress up and roleplay as animals. It's wrong, and the LKE is taking the initiative to exterminate this horrible organization.
<+Zaolat> you know I hear if a man eats lots of pineapples and it's juice good things happen
<+Xoriet>
<+Xoriet> Awesome
<@Venico> Sigged
<+Xoriet> VENICO
<+Zeorus> XD
<@Venico> Xoriet! <3
<+Xoriet> I meant Nox's Nether Faerie Dragon ;x;
<@Venico> Uh huh, Sure
<+Xoriet> I didn't even see Zao's thing
<+Xoriet> ;x;
<+Xoriet> I hate you all
<@Venico> Nope
<@Venico> That's copyright
<@Venico> Night Father TM
<@Treize_Dreizehn> <Xoriet> I didn't even see Zao's thing <--- That's what she said.
<@Treize_Dreizehn> my work here is done
<@Venico> Did the pineapple improve it Xoriet?
<+Xoriet> Now I really hold deep loathing for all of you ={